Where are you on this rollercoaster of emotions after learning the President-Elect is Donald Trump? Are you finished your Facebook post expressing grief or Twitter debates with strangers that don't understand how this makes you feel?
Getting this grief out is important, and living in an America where all branches of government are now Republican can put you in an unhealthy headspace.
Let's not stop at our actions at the poles. There are more ways to actively make change happen and feel a lot less hopeless. We can definitely be the change we want to see.
Here are a few things you can do now.
- Combat racism with Showing Up For Racial Justice
- Help your community with AmeriCorps
- End police violence at Campaign Zero
- Support your Muslim family and friends at the Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Be a part of your next local election as a poll worker and encourage voters to come out
- Support the LGBTQ community at the Mazzoni Center
- Join an organization that helps immigrants and new Americans.
- The Future Project: “Young people everywhere should have the opportunity to discover their potential and build the skills they need to change their lives and world. We exist to make that dream a reality, and we’re starting in American high schools.”
- It Gets Better Project: “The It Gets Better Project’s mission is to communicate to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth around the world that it gets better, and to create and inspire the changes needed to make it better for them.”
- Black Lives Matter: “An affirmation of Black folks’ contributions to this society, our humanity, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression.
- Planned Parenthood: Give women the opportunities for proper healthcare, education, and activism.
- The Future Project: Help the young people of America fulfill their potential.
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence: Help stop domestic violence.
- RAINN: Assist the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network in combating sexual violence, aiding victims, and ensuring that perpetrators are caught.
- ACLU: Uphold the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to all by the Constitution and the laws of the United States.
- Friends of the Earth: Contribute to international network of environmental groups. They’ve already vowed to fight the threat Trump poses to the environment.
- Border Angels: Advocate for immigration reform and social justice specifically regarding the U.S.-Mexico border...
- NextGen Climate Action: Volunteer with this group that works to fight climate change through political action.
Most importantly Practice Self-Care:
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance: 1-800-826-3632
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Mental Health America: 1-800-969-6642
- Trans Lifeline: 1-877-565-8860
- Trevor Project: 1-866-488-7386